I have a confession to make: My geek creds were/are slightly lacking. Up until last week, I had never seen the new Battlestar Galactica. I know, you’re shocked right?
So I’m trying to right the wrong. But as Chuck and I finished watching season one last night, I’m not sure I like the show. (bad geek! bad, bad geek!)
I really liked the intro mini-series, but once we got into the actual episodes it felt “off”. Some examples:
1. There seems to be issues of continuity. In one episode it only takes five minutes for Gaius to test Boomer’s blood to see if she’s a cylon. In the next episode it takes 11 hours per sample, and they can only be done one at a time! What the heck?
2. Speaking of continuity, when the heck did Starbuck decide to sleep with Gaius?! That came from left field and the explanation was so weak that it felt like the writers did it for the sole purpose of causing conflict between Starbuck and Lee.
3. I get that we’re not supposed to like Gaius. But, I don’t not like him because he’s a creep, I don’t like him because I don’t get his motivation or his purpose (and I get the feeling that the writers don’t either?) He’s not coming off so much as “bad guy”, instead he’s coming off as “annoying and irritating.”
4. The cylon who keeps appearing to Gaius as a hallucination is also annoying. Blah, blah, blah, God and destiny, blah, blah. I’ve actually started to tune out when she waxes on and on.
5. If the goal of the cylons is to mate with humans to start a new species (which seems to be the point of the vision Gaius has of a cradle on Kobol), why did the cylons have to obliterate all of the humans? Why not just infiltrate human colonies, get pregnant and leave? Or in classic sci-fi, why not just abduct humans and conduct experiments on them to harvest their reproductive stuff?
Overall, I think it just feels inconsistent. And I’m not sure if that is the point of the first season, or do the writers not have a clue what they’re doing? Have I been too spoiled by writers like Whedon and Straczynski, who plan out arcs and backstories and are deliberate with their storytelling?
Should I continue watching BSG? Did you like the show? Does it get better?